Monday, September 10, 2007

Staring at the Sun

Sunshine is the kind of science fiction movie we all want to like but a lot of us cannot. Every year we hope for that great movie that will take the place of Alien or 2001. With all the great cgi out there you would think we could do it.

The thing I like about this movie is it doesn't even try to compete with the other flashy visuals of late. The set design, acting, pacing and overall feel of this movie are first rate.

Why don't a lot of my friends embrace this movie? I think it's because they thought it was going to tell them different things about the darker side of humanity. The fact that it didn't tap into these recesses of our subconscious is not grounds for dismissal.

It was essentially a well put together thriller made by a group of people with higher than average IQs. In the end we are left with a positive if not metaphysical wrap up. Sure, there are some directorial choices I would have steered clear of but all in all I was thoroughly entertained.

All I can give you is my emotional response to the movie. I left that theatre satisfied and excited; I didn't feel cheap or in want of more. It gave me more than all the summer blockbusters I have seen in this season. Now let's just see if The Bourne Ultimatum fairs as well.

No comments: