Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What Up?

Been back to work now since the 14th. The month off was pretty great. Got some good stuff for the Doc, went to Whistler and just managed to relax.

Next week I'm off to The HOTDOCS Documentary Forum in Toronto. Werner Herzog will be there, don't think I'll get to talk to him though. What'll I say "Hey man, did you really eat that shoe?" We hope to pitch our Superdogs idea to broadcasters and get some much needed funding. Then and only then can we start seriously making this thing. We've got some great footage already but need a lot more if we want it to be a feature. So I'll post more about this after the forum.

In other creative news - Mona and I plan to do a series of 1 minute shorts. This is a way to keep our creative muscles pumping. As we finish them I'll find a way to post them on the web.

Movies and shows I've been watching:



V for Vendetta - Mona dragged me to it but I thouroughly bought into what they were laying down. This coming from someone who really found the matrix trilogy to be one of the sillier film events of the last 10 years. Portman was just great in this and they used a Cat Power song.


Brick - Film Noir set in a High School. Never done seen nothin' like it. The film creates a world we've never seen, commits to this crazy notion, and pummels us with truly unique colloquilisms, situations and dangerous females. They pull all this off in an organic way just like Donnie Darko did before it. The real coup is that it was made for 500 000 US$. Lukas Haas, who was great in Last Days, continues to surprise in this dark piece of magic.


Battlestar Galactica - Yes, I've lost my indie-cred. A recommendation from Kevin Smiths Blog, this new series totally reinvents the original sans the camp. Cylons are now soft, supple, sweaty and sometimes smokin' hot babes. They don't have those metalic silver shells and moving led eyes, thank god. Speaking of god, the Cylons are all hard-core Christians and if they're female they're thankfully nymphos. Oh, yeah and they're mostly Candadian. It's just a ruse that we're all friendly up here. Anyway, this show is totally compelling because of the strong female leads, great acting and fantastic dialogue - all rarities in Sci-Fi. Did I mention I abhor Science Fiction? See it and get back to me. Also, this is of local interest - it's filmed in Vancouver, making it the best series to be filmed in our fine city. No, I'm not forgetting X-files...cause' I wasn't a fan o' that roswell obsessed piece of poo.

No comments: