Tuesday, August 01, 2006

That Obscure Object of Desire


For almost a month now I have been immersing myself in the archaic sounds of the lovely Scottish band Camera Obscura. It seems I've come to their shore at just the right time. Previous albums have shown moments of great clarity and strength but this new one, Let's Get out of this Country, is phenomenal from start to finish. While listening to it on my run or while doing timed writing sessions I get all these great visual images. This is the third great Scottish album that has come out in the last year (behind Boards of Canada and Mogwai.) Tracyanne Campbell's vocals remind me of early 'everything but the girl'. This album is actually a logical progression from EBTG's cover of 'the only living boy in new york' (Simon and Garfunkel). When I heard that song on the soundtrack to the movie Tadpole I wanted more, more, more. But alas when I went to download more EBTG tracks I was left empty eared. Now, some years later, I'm satiated. Finally my sixties-meets-present urge has been quelled.

No comments: