Saturday, August 02, 2008

It's in Belgium


What a phenomenal movie In Bruges is. I mean...I just hate Colin Farrel just like the rest a yas' (except for his role in The New World) but this movie was just bigger than his ego. This movie flattened his myth in one bloody swing.

I knew something was going on with this flick when I heard it was directed by Martin McDonagh who did Six-Shooter; a truly fantastic short that won an Academy award a few years ago.

At first blush it seems like another kick at the Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels formula. What it ends up being is the best British crime movie since Sexy Beast. I like it even more than SB as it takes it's roots in plays such as Waiting for Godot (Beckett) and the Dumb Waiter (Pinter). Yes, this movie is full of existential angst (Anyone heard of Theatre of the Absurd?) and every frame has a powerful nihilistic charge to it... but it's funny as fuck to boot. It's alive and heading for the grave in and addictively giddy way.

You really should see it if you like non-traditional crime films and ever since Pulp Fiction I know that's what I've been looking for. Hope you will agree.

No comments: