Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Long Blondes


I don't usually go in for this sorta thing but this takes me back to the nineties and I was really given' er in the nine o's; this was my decade. I'm reminded of bands like Elastica, Sleeper, Echobelly or even Late-Era Lush. Looming over all those band is the inescapable Pixies reference. The slightly surfie guitar riffs, the mobile bass licks and the wanna be wipe out drums are most likely to conjure up images of Black Francis' cash cow. This is not original but it's fun and it's creating some much needed light in my slate gray life (i'm just talking about the weather, it's February in Vancouver after all). Sure, I like the allusions to French 60's film starlets and Scott Walker but mostly I like the energy of this album. These songs are a great soundtrack for running through the streets of East Van. I may even go see them live it they come around these parts.

No comments: