Monday, February 05, 2007

Roc Doco Research

I just saw Gimmie Shelter as part of my research for the Ladyhawk Doc.

This is touted as not just another Rolling Stones concert film and boy did it deliver on that. Can't tell you enough how I enjoy the Maysles Brothers approach to documentary. They don't use narration and are very econmical when it comes to titles. What you get is a feeling of actually being there without any heavy handed manipulation.

One of my favourite parts was the scene where they are in muscle shoals studio mixing wild horses. It's just genius how Albert Maysles picked up on all the subtle things that where going on an commited them to film. Don't get me wrong this is a big doc culminating in the stabbing at Altamont but all along they managed to keep it at a very small human level.

The transfer thanks to Criterion, is stunning. The visuals are crisp and the new 5.1 surround mix is amazing. That subwoofer I got at christmas really made me feel like I was there during the live segments.

It's not all The Stones, there are a couple performances by The Flying Burrito Brothers and Ike and Tina Turner. The later was just breathtaking. All Mick has to say after seeing Tina Turner lay emotional waste to the audience is "it's nice to have a chick around once and a while." His way of dealing with being severly upstaged.

It's pretty sad that it took me this long to see Gimmie Shelter but hey I finally got around to it and am all the better for it.

No comments: