Monday, February 12, 2007

What kind of Fuckery is this?


Even though the Cover Art is harshly inspired by Flashdance, the contents of this Amy Winehouse CD is pure 60's soul...and boy did they get the sound right. I like retro but when people try to rehash the classic sounds they usually get it wrong. Even my friends are guilty of such failures. In this case she's got the voice, the songwriting talent and the sound down pat. Not an easy task but she and her crew pulled it off. Jack White only wishes he could attain the heights this album has reached.

Is everyone hip to this in Canada already? Am I the last one to get into this? Well, it doesn't matter because I'm hooked for good. This is one of the few album I can say I could recommend to my parents. I could recommended it to my music snob friends as well without "Guilty Pleasure" prefacing that statement. I know Colin and Terry at the Hive will dig this, big time (if they aren't into it already). I can understand how some may hate this but I won't engage in any debates with those folks. She's done an amazing thing with this album in my opinion and that's all that matters.

No comments: