Saturday, July 07, 2007

the angry streets of East Van

I've run 12 marathons, done the Grouse Grind several times (including the race), successfully navigated the Baden Powell trail and even completed the Diez Vista 50 Kilometer Trail run. I am not writing this to impress or blow sunshine up my own arse.

No, today I have a far more important goal.

First, I wanted to illustrate this point: I am able to run over uneven terrain for great distances with out upsetting my equilibrium.

I am fed up with the state of the sidewalks in East Van; the streets are hilly, undulating, peaceful tree-lined idyllic setting, perfect for running, right? Don't be lulled in by these serene setting, it's war out there. These trees have root structures that are perfect for forcing sidewalks into jagged foot hungry predators. In my life as a runner, which started in July of 1990, I have lost my footing only 2 or 3 times. In the last four months I have been tripped up 3 times by the mean streets of East Van, almost 4 but that time the edge of the sidewalk just ripped a hole in the side of my right shoe.


I don't expect the city to do anything about this. They have already tried to smooth out some of the nastier spots with asphalt. Right now, they are putting all their money into the Olympics, which is far more important for their public profile.

What I do suggest, though, is the citizens of the area not ride their bikes on the sidewalks. It's hard enough trying to watch your footing without some myopic septuagenarian coming at you with a rickety old 10 speed. Also, when riding your bike in a prohibited zone try not to carry two cardboard boxes, which further inhibits your less-than-ideal pedal pushing skills. I am glad that none of them wear helmets (even though it is the law, our Olympic -centric civil servants turn a blind eye) because it makes it easier for me to store your guilty faces in my lexicon of inconsiderate cluster-fucks. Your time will come.

Oh, the joys of staying fit

No comments: