Friday, June 23, 2006

Up to no good


Just got through The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Dear Wendy, Syriana and the commentary track on Good Night, and Good Luck. FATF:TD was similarly themed to The Last Samurai but infinitely more entertaining. File it under: to bad to be actually awful. It's a great Drive-Movie. As far as Syriana goes, I love hearing the Director Steve Gahgan speak but I think he's too intelligent for his own good. I really couldn't get emotionally involved in this movie. Critic Armond White said we learn more about world politics from watching Sahara (Yes, the one with Penelope Cruz) than we do from sitting through Syriana. I want to see Sahara now cause lord I wants to learn.

Dear Wendy is one of my current cinematic crushes. The combination of Lars Von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg works famously. The visual style, concept and musical choices (The Zombies) are the strengths of this movie. The only minor flaw I found was in the overly expository voice over at the start. Granted they had a lot of ground to cover but once that sequence passed my senses were held prisoner for the remainder of this great flick. If I was 16 I would watch it over and over again and if a prospective girlfriend didn't like it she'd be toast. As Mona said "it works on so many levels".

I've been writing two screenplays (one with Misli, one with Mona) and trying to get a 10 minute dog promo down to 5 minutes. Other than that I'm trying to decide whether I am getting a sinus infection again or if I'm allergic to something.

No comments: